I’ve been experimenting a little bit with different bliss balls and energy bites lately, some have been a lot tastier than others. I’m a bit of a sporadic creator in the kitchen and I’ll often come up with random ideas or see something that looks yummy on the internet (thank you black hole that is pinterest!) and then decide to try and recreate it on the spur of the moment. Enter these crunchy peanut butter energy bites.…
I know that some people freak out at the thought of creating something without a recipe, and it sucks when you make something delicious and then don’t know how to recreate it! For that reason I’ve started trying to write down what I put in my random energy bite and bliss ball recipes so that when I find a real winner I can pop the recipe up on the blog for future reference and so that others can give them a go!
I’m in the process of cutting a little bit of weight for the upcoming powerlifting season (I know from instagram that I’m definitely not the only one in this boat!) so I’ve been tracking my calories and taking a closer look at my macros (protein, carbs and fats). This can be a bit of a drag, but it can also be a lot of fun trying to hit certain macro goals for the day depending on my activity levels. This is how these crunchy peanut butter energy bites were born! I wanted something easy enough to snack on, that was tasty but not as high in carbs as the store brought bliss balls and the likes.
These crunchy peanut butter energy bites are still higher in carbohydrates than some of my other concoctions, but these ones are ridiculously tasty! I haven’t had weetbix since I was a kid, and even then I don’t remember eating them very often so I had no idea how these would turn out, but I was pleasantly surprised! The addition of vanilla protein powder gave the crunchy peanut butter energy bites a touch of sweetness which paired really well with the crunch from the peanut butter, weetbix and the rolled oats.
I will definitely be making these crunchy peanut butter energy bites again! If you wanted to lower the carbohydrates you could remove the honey and add additional peanut butter, per the notes below.
50grams Rolled Oats
3 Tablespoons Peanut Butter
1 Tablespoon Honey
1 Tablespoon Coconut Oil
1 Serve Vanilla Protein Powder
2 Tablespoons Almond Milk
1. Add weetbix and rolled oats to your food processor and pulse until combined – leave a few chunks.
2. Add peanut butter, honey, coconut oil and protein powder to the weetbix and oat mix in the food processor and combine.
3. Slowly add the almond milk to the food processor while running. Stop after each tablespoon and check if the mixture is wet enough to roll.
4. Roll into small balls (this made 14 for me)
5. Pop in the fridge or freezer to harden.
6. Store in an airtight container in the fridge.
* You could use all oats or all weetbix if you like.
* You could omit the honey if your protein powder is quite sweet (mine was), but you’ll likely need to add some additional peanut butter so that the mixture will be wet enough to roll into balls.
* You can use any type of milk you like to add wetness to the mixture.
What is your favourite flavour combination?? – I love vanilla or chocolate with peanut butter!
If you enjoyed this recipe, or want to save it for later then I’d love it if you saved the below image to Pinterest. Simply hover over the image, click the pin button and save it to one of your boards for yummy healthy recipes!